Underwriter - Baytown
Department: Loan Central
Provides staff support to assure that proper loan information is collected to maintain acceptable credit standards conforming with CRCU loan guidelines and policies; analyzes loan requests and makes loan decisions to assist members with their consumer lending needs; adheres to Federal and State Laws and Regulations.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
E 40% Analyzes current financial position of members to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit or lending money. Makes decisions to approve, counter offer, deny or forward the loan request to higher levels for decisions.
E 10% Establishes the terms and conditions of an approved loan.
E 5% Reviews and decisions exceptions received through our Indirect Program (CUAC).
E 10% Actively cross-sells other Credit Union services.
E 10% Responsible for the overall quality of the loans that make up the individual underwriter’s portfolio. The quality of the underwriter’s portfolio should be such that losses and delinquencies are within acceptable limits and loans are properly documented to reflect the credit decisions.
E 5% Actively participates in projects assigned by the Credit Manager and/or Loan Central Manager.
E 5% Keeps informed of current trends in consumer credit.
E 10% Authorizes release of collateral on existing loans, changes in loan terms, waivers of payments, due date changes, etc.
N 5% Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Continually monitors loan application queues to retrieve applications for review.
2. Provides decisions within 10 minutes upon receipt of completed application.
3. Assists to maintain a minimum delinquency of consumer portfolio.
4. Cross sells credit union products and services.
6. Maintains a professional, courteous and friendly atmosphere for members and co-workers.
7. Assists Credit Manager and/or Loan Central Manager with PFO loan training.
8. Allocates time for planning and mapping out tasks.
9. Handles several projects simultaneously and completes timely.
10. Employee demonstrates an understanding of, and follows the requirements of all regulation compliance, including but not limited to those of Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), Customer Identification Program (CIP) and Member Due Diligence (MDD) as it specifically relates to their job functions. Employee shall be trained annually in BSA/AML compliance.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Three years to five years of similar or related experience.
Education: (1) A two year college degree or (2) Completion of a specialized course of study at a business or trade school or (3) Completion of a specialized and extensive in-house training or apprenticeship program.
Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization for purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, or soliciting cooperation.
Other Skills: Must have good computer, data analysis, verbal and written communication skills.
Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to electronics work. May require periodic travel. There is exposure to potential hazardous conditions such as robbery. Employees are to receive detailed instructions and procedures to follow in order to minimize risk.
In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Job Status: Full Time