Credit Counselor I - Bilingual in Spanish
Department: Credit Resolution
Preserves the credit union's assets by controlling delinquent loan and share accounts, collecting delinquent loan and share payments and/or recovering collateral. Adheres to all policies and procedures. Adheres to Federal and State Laws and Regulations.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
45% Contacts delinquent accounts and negative accounts by phone and mail and takes appropriate action to resolve accounts. Analyzes financial situation of delinquent members and makes appropriate recommendations. Maintains accurate files and reports on all collection activity.
20% Performs administrative duties, such as reports, letter, mail, disputes, claims, etc.
15% Processes bankruptcies, repossessions, and accounts in legal status to completion in collateral.
5% Recommends and submits overdrawn shares for charge off and ensures that all negative shares are charged off in a timely manner.
5% Cross sells other services in an attempt to resolve the problems causing the delinquency and returns the member to good standing.
5% Trains for professional development.
5% Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Handles members problems & complaints.
2. Maximizes the collection and/or recovery of credit union assets.
3. Maintains accurate and complete records of all collection.
4. Ensures that collection activity is both within credit union policy and all relevant regulations and laws.
5. Identifies and informs management of potential underwriting problems.
6. Conducts follow up with phone calls on promises & commitments from members.
7. Improves levels of teamwork by delivering the same expected superior member service to our co-workers.
8. Demonstrates an understanding of, and follows the requirements of all regulation compliance, including but not limited to those of Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), Customer Identification Program (CIP) and Member Due Diligence (MDD) as it specifically relates to their job functions. Employee shall be trained annually in BSA/AML compliance.
Knowledge and Skills:
One year to three years of similar or related experience.
A high school education or GED.
Work involves much personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization for the purpose of first-level conflict resolution, building relationships, and soliciting cooperation. Discussions involve a higher degree of confidentiality and discretion, requiring diplomacy and tact in communication.
Meets and exceeds members contact dealing with sensitive issues, etc
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to electronics work. May require periodic travel. There is exposure to potential hazardous conditions such as robbery. Employees are to receive detailed instructions and procedures to follow in order to minimize risk.
In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
This Job Description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising the position.
Job Status: Full Time